Tuesday 21 December 2010

Glossary of Correct Usage


1. accept, except. Accept is a verb : except is a preposition

They accepted my invitation.
Everyone attended the meeting except the secretary.


2. advice, advise. Advice is a noun; advise is a verb.

His advice was useful.
I was advised to purchase a more economical car.


3. affect, effect. Affect is a verb; it means " to influence." Effect may be a verb or a noun. The verb effect means " to cause to happen "; the noun effect means " the result."

Pollution affects everyone.
Your tears do not affect me.
Your tears have no effect upon me.
Doctors have effected a cure for polio.
The effect of drugs is well known.

4. almost, most. Most is used to form the superlative; it is used to modify nouns. Almost is an adverb.

Most people are honest.
He is the most unusual person I have ever met.
Almost everyone has a desire to succeed.
Almost all of the food was eaten.


5. already, all ready. Already means " before the time specified. " All ready means " completely prepared."

The movie had already begun by the time we arrived.
The members were all ready to hear the report.


6. altogether, all together. Altogether means " thoroughly." All together means " in a group."

The thought of a third world war is altogether frightening.
The children were all together on the bus.


7. amount, number. Use amount to refer to thing sin bulk or mass; number refers to the countable.
Wrong : I was amazed by the amount of people present.


Right : I was amazed by the number of people present.

Right : The amount of money needed was soon collect.

8. and which, which

Wrong : I found a lost dog and which needs a good home.


Right : I found a lost dog which needs a good home.


Wrong : My father is a good man and whom we all love deeply.


Right : My father is a good man whom we all love deeply and whom we admire.




9, anywheres, anywhere Anywheres is very informal

Wrong : We can talk anywheres.
Right : We can talk anywhere.

10. around

Wrong : He arrived around ten o'clock.

Right : He arrived about ten o'clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What values am I living with? I was born in a moderate religious family. We might not be considered as religious to some as everybody has b...